Basically, the rental cost of a moving truck depends on the size of the vehicle, and the total number of miles that it will be required to travel. There are other variables, of course, but the bulk of the rental cost is taken up by these two elements.
Usual Costs of Renting a Moving Truck
To give you an idea of the typical rental costs of moving trucks, here are some data:
- If you are moving your goods from your 3 to 4 bedroom house within city limits in an estimated time of 8 hours, a 24-foot truck will cost you from $40 to $70 with an additional 68 cents to $1.10 per mile.
- If you are moving your goods from your two bedroom house, a 14 foot truck will cost you from $20 – $30 for 8 hours with an additional 68 cents to $1.10 per mile.
- If you need the rental truck for 10 to 11 days to move your household goods from a 2 to 3 bedroom house across the country, a 14-foot truck will cost you somewhere between $1,800 and $2,000.
- If you will move the furnishings from your three bedroom house, for more than 10 to 11 days across the country, you will pay a rental costs ranging from $1,900 to $3,080. It may be just for the first 3,450 miles or it can be for an unlimited mileage.
If you would like to get the actual amount that you are required to pay, you need to contact a reliable moving truck rental service. One such dependable company that offers truck rental service is Home Depot. They have a website which you can access while you’re on your computer.
Specific Truck Rental Costs
Now, for the specific rental costs of moving trucks of different sizes, you need to refer to the following information:
- A 10-footer truck which is ideal for moving things from a 1 bedroom apartment will cost you from $20 to $30 per day, with an additional 68 cents to $1.10 per mile.
- A 14-footer truck which is best for a 1 bedroom house will cost you from $30 to $40 per day, plus 68 cents to $1.10 per mile.
- A 17 footer truck which is perfect for a 2 bedroom house will cost you from $32 to $42 per day, with an additional 68 cents to $1.10 per mile.
- A 20 footer truck which is good for a 3 bedroom house will cost you from $40 to $50 per day, with an additional 68 cents to $1.10 per mile.
- A 24 footer truck which is ideal for a 4 bedroom house will cost you from $42 to $52 per day, and an additional 68 cents to $1.10 per mile.
- A 26 footer truck which is best for a 4 to 5 bedroom house will cost you from $45 to $55 per day, with an additional 68 cents to $1.10 per mile.
- If you want to rent a low-end truck, you can choose a 10 footer truck for a one bedroom apartment move, just within city limits, for a total distance of 40 miles; you can expect to pay from $48 to $74.
- If you want to rent a high-end truck, you can opt for a 20 footer truck for your 3 bedroom house move. You can expect to pay from $1,900 to $3,080 with an unlimited mileage.
There are other costs that you need to consider. They are part of truck rental costs that are not related to equipment use and mileage taken. Here are some of these additional expenses.
- Truck rentals during summer typically increase around 20 per cent more than the cost during winter.
- If you go beyond the number of miles stated in the contract, you may be charged up to 40 cents per mile.
- You can add extra days prior to your pick up date but it will cost you around $40 per day.
- If you want a trailer hitch to tow your car behind the truck, you will be charged approximately $150.
- You should also factor the cost of insurance which is around $20 per day.
- If you need to rent a dolly, you have to be prepared to pay from $5 to $10 per day.
As much as possible, get yourself some discounts from the truck rental service. You should be aware that there is a 10% AAA discount at some locations. See if your destination is included in the list of the truck moving company.
In addition, there are truck rental companies which offer from 8% to 10% discount for placing your order online. Try to access these discounts because it will save you quite a bit of money.
You should also realize that truck rental prices change regularly in reaction to the supply and demand. If you will reserve early, you might get a very affordable rate.