Once the current pandemic restrictions are lifted, there’s probably nothing more freeing than going on a long road trip with a few of your friends. You don’t even have to own a car—just get on the Hertz website and rent an SUV.
Lots of websites offer lists of road trip essentials, but this isn’t that kind of list. The stuff we recommend you bring along may seem so crucial, but they can really help:
- Paper maps. Yes, you have apps and GPS. Still, it’s best to have a backup just in case. You don’t really know for sure if you will always have a good connection for your apps, and that your smartphone won’t malfunction.
- Real money. You can’t just expect to pay for everything with your credit card. Bring some money along when you have to deal in cash.
- Portable phone charger. You’d be amazed at the number of people who forget to bring this crucial item along. These are the people who assume that there will always be places to plug in and charge their smartphones. That’s not really smart at all. Just get a portable charger so you can still recharge your phone even in the boondocks.
- Water. You may not forget to bring along your cans of soda, but what about having water? The problem with soda is that after you drink it, the sugar can make you feel thirsty soon thereafter. Bring some water along with a reusable water bottle for each person.
- Snacks. Bring some snacks, as these can quiet some of the whiners when the road trip takes too long. Also, they’re very tasty.
- Earbuds and headphones. If you can’t take the whining, or you’re not feeling the music the driver is playing, just use the earbuds and listen to your own favorite music. No one can complain if they can’t hear your preference for boy bands!