Relocating by yourself is fun and exciting. Moving with the whole family however, is another story. More and more these days, employees are requested by their companies to transfer offices due to a variety of reasons. The actual moving part is stressful, and on top of that, you and your family will have to adjust to a new lifestyle, especially if the home and host locations are so much different from one another.
You will have to consider a lot of things, such as where you want to get an apartment, or how near will the school or church or grocery be from the house. Your spouse may also need to find a new job in the new town or city. To make things easier for all of you, you can hire a destination service provider (DSP) to help your family adjust. This is popular with international moves, but is also becoming a trend in national relocations.
What are the services you can expect from a DSP?
- Area orientation. You won’t have to check internet reviews or Google Map everything if you want to find the best markets, museums, or department stores in the area. Make a list of the places you normally go to so you can mention it to your coordinator. You can also ask questions about getting a bank account or a social security number, if needed.
- Real estate. If you don’t have a real estate provider’s contact already, they can give you recommendations on which companies or individuals provide the best services.
- Schools. Aside from finding good schools for your children, the coordinator will also be able to answer questions like normal tuition costs, facilities, and others. He or she can also take you to the school so you can speak with the administrator.
- Language and cultural training. Language and culture can be a barrier to achieving a happy life in your neighborhood. If you will be coming from another country, check with the DSP what courses you may need to take to fit in to the new environment.
- Spouse/partner support. If your spouse will need to find another job or will be looking for clubs to join, the coordinator can help him or her with it.
When you move, make sure that the items you’re shipping will all be in good condition. Check the services provided by Ryder and find out how they can help you.